For as long as I can remember there has been this fascination with the large red cocktail more commonly pronounced by the average Nigerian as ‘Shapman’. It has become synonymous with the popular orders made at our local Chinese restaurants, Recreational Clubs and more recently, weddings (though our wedding planners are notorious for being extremely selective with Chapman distribution – I‘ve never been offered any to date). Its origin is arguably in Nigeria but no one knows for sure. It isn’t necessarily expensive to buy (between N300 and N1000, i.e. $6 max.) nor is it difficult to make. But I think I know why there’s such a fuss over this bitter-sweet refreshment – it just tastes so damn good!
Today I’m running a small Chapman factory in my apartment (okay, not really but I do make them rather frequently) and I want to share the recipe for you to enjoy. Learn how to make Chapman is 6 easy steps!:
CHAPMAN RECIPE FOR 1 PERSON
- Get a large tumbler/glass mug (necessary if you want to make your Chapman-experience last a bit)
- Fill the glass halfway with ice cubes
- Pour a capful of Grenadine or any blackcurrant cordial into the glass (for that red glow)
- Pour in 2shots of Bitters – Any bitters you can find but you can also use Campari (In Lagos, Angostura Bitters is available at Goodies for N3,200).
- Pour in equal amounts of…believe it or not…Fanta and Sprite then mix it up
- Throw in a slice of lemon, garnish with a cucumber slice and dip-in a bendy straw
- Sip slowly and try not to hum too much as your taste-buds go into a frenzy.
- If you enjoyed this article show your appreciation by clicking on @dcrazynigerian and following me. Thank you for your support!
*NEW: Tell me 10 ingredients you would use to make your unique Chapman. Best answer wins an e-copy of my funny book The Crazy Nigerian! Comment or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Well there you have it. Simple, isn’t it? So the next time you’re sitting by your computer and one of your (anti-social) friends sends you a mouth-watering cocktail…via Facebook, make a Chapman to quench that insatiable thirst your ‘friend‘ created (remember to do point 7 ^^)…and then proceed to delete that friend from your Friend list (optional).
CHAPMAN RECIPE FOR 100 people
You’d need the following (if you are serving in small plastic cups):
– 1.5 litres of Ribena/Blacurrant cordial/Grenadine (about 1 big table spoon poured at the base of each cup)
– 50 cans of Sprite (half of each can poured into a cup)
– 50 cans of Fanta (half of each can poured into a cup)
– 10 medium lemons (each sliced in 10, making 100 slices)
– 10 medium cucumbers (each sliced into 20 and served two pieces per cup)
– 4 bottles of Alomo bitters or 3 bottles of Angosturra bitters (a capful poured into each cup)
– Probably 500 ice cubes equivalent (cheaper if you have ice trays at home. 5 cubes per cup)
– 100 bendy straws.
– Mixers (long plastic stirrers) are optional as you can use the straws to mix the drinks
N.B – If you use large mugs instead of plastic cups then use 100 cans of Sprite and 100 cans of Fanta (1 can of Sprite and Fanta per mug). Everything else remains the same.
Visit my ‘How To’ link and discover one very important tip I added on 5th January 2014 to help make your Chapman stand out from the others (highly recommended for Wedding Planners / Event Planners, Caterers, Hoteliers and Bartenders. Follow my blog and @dcrazynigerian on Twitter for even more crazy articles.
See more cocktail recipes
Now that you’ve made your delicious Chapman all by yourself you can read my hottest articles which have had thousands of views across the world:
- 5 Things Husbands Never tell their Wives
- 5 Reasons Why Married Men go to Strip clubs
- 5 Reasons Why Married Men Don’t wear the Ring
- 5 Reasons Why Married Men Cheat
- 5 Reasons Why I am no longer subscribing to DSTV
Thanks for visiting for my page and don’t forget to download the OKADABOOKS app to get my funny book (for free until June 30th, 2015) so hurry!
You can subscribe or ‘unsubscribe’ to this blog at anytime. Thank you for stopping by!